Re: [OM] Best way to send money to the USA?

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to send money to the USA?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 06:21:03 +1000
>I would not send all the cash in one envelope. Perhaps split it among
>several mailings.
>
>I have always hesitated to do that because someone I knew many years
>ago worked during the Christmas season at the US Post Office.  She
>claimed that after handling a few thousand pieces of mail any one
>could tell which ones had money in them.  Of course, these days,
>there is a lot less handling by people.
>--
>Winsor Crosby

That's why I put the cash inside a heavy greetings card or an advertising
flyer - so that it looks like junk mail. No problem so far though I don't
know what the last US seller I paid made of the guide to Old Trafford! Or
the one before of the Australian Labor Party leaflet.
Banks gouge on the exchanges - I use a credit union which makes no charge
for foreign currency checques and order but does make me wait. The GPO
might issue Western Union money orders in US currency for a small fee
(aroun US$5) - the Australian Post Office does. Much cheaper than a bank
order.
AndrewF