Re: [OM] OT REI Seattle Was: yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] OT REI Seattle Was: yet another "What would you take?"
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:36:57 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/01 10:04:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The old REI had two street level entrances, one down below on the bottom
> floor,
>  and one up above on 10th ave. In stead of stairs between the two floors
> there was
>  a long ramp.
>
>  FWIW, the old REI had way more character and class than the 'plastic' new
> store.

All true.  The anticipation and joy of entering that store and being
enveloped by the pungent odor of creosote was intoxicating.  And REI's
president at the time I first got addicted was a true climbing hero, Jim
Whitaker.

It was great to walk up to a "department" (climbing gear, bicycles, boots,
what have you), and be waited on by a truly informed sales rep..  A Nordstrom
for the out-of-doors.  That's still mostly true, but it seems as though most
of the sales staff now is made up of simply sales clerks, not so much folks
who really went to the mountains all the time, used the gear, and knew a
piton from a rear derailleur.

Article in the Times a day or two back reports that REI will no longer
manufacture gear, but will simply market.  At first, I was sad, as their
standards were always so high.  But in reality, they are simply returning to
the original concept and modus operandi, which was to offer the best climbing
gear (and now, of course, canoeing, kayaking, bicycling, cross country
skiiing, etc.) from around the world.

Fun to shop the new store and watch the double-takes when the cashiers catch
sight of the low number on my old card.  It's a keepsake.  And I still shop
the old store, which is now a Value Village, just to be there on that old
creosote-soaked floor one more time and reminisce.  When the day comes that
building is taken down, there will be a street full of mourners watching and
grieving.  Hope it happens after I'm long gone.

Rich