[OM] yet another "What would you take?" #1

Subject: [OM] yet another "What would you take?" #1
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 00:43:26 EDT
Dear p.j.,

<< On August 21st I leave for Palmyra Atoll. >>

Well, I haven't got all the kit that the others have, but here goes.

OM-4Ti
OM-1(N)
21/3.5
28/2.8
50/1.8 or 50/1.4 for low light.
Tamron 90/2.5 macro (substitute 90/2 Zuiko if you've got it!)
T-32
Tamron 80-210 Zoom (substitute light Olympus telezoom, 200/4, 200/5 or just
2X converter?)
Focusing screen on one camera suitable for slow lenses.

You could maybe go 50/2 macro if desperate for weight - fills the role of the
90 macro and the 50/1.8 or 50/1.4. Sounds sensible - 50 would also be better
then 90 for handheld shots if it's not too bright, AND it's smaller.

Taking things with more than one use is a great idea.

I would take 2 cameras rather than another lens - you can always re-position
yourself or crop the photo later, but if your camera collapses in the heat,
you'll have no pictures at all!

I would take the 4Ti not my 2SP because the 2SP is a pain in the a*** with
battery failure. The 1N because it's mechanical is a must. Lots of film (all
36s?). Some B/W? Colour slides or prints? Dunno!

Long telephotos add a lot of weight, for what? It's a small island - will
anything be that far away?

A 2X on the 90 macro would give 180 if it can be done, or maybe take a 200/4
or 200/5.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/