Re: [OM] What I did last weekend

Subject: Re: [OM] What I did last weekend
From: "mike m." <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 09:28:56 -0700

Bernd Möller wrote:

> Congrats Mike! Great pictures indeed.

Thanks

> How many have you shot altogether? Was the promoter pleased with the results?
> (I guess he was). Did he give you guidelines as to which kind of images he
> wanted (because there are so many overall images of the stage and the venue).

Probably shot a dozen or so over the last few years. They were looking
for stage shots,crowd shots, and shots including the new Peabody Place.
They wanted a performer on stage shot to put in their office lobby. The
others are for a pamphlet they print and distribute.

> Like some members did before me, I answer you on-list. I think it's relevant
> here.
>
> Some questions/a bit of critique:
>
> Did you use origin FujiPress 1600 or is it the 800 ASA pushed to 1600? Reason
> is, that I have used FujiPress 800 myself quite a lot am quite pleased with
> the results, even if pushed to 1600.

Fuji Press at 1600

> Scanning and adjusting the film (in PS) however required some work. In
> particular the white balance is difficult. THis can also be seen at some of
> your shots. Look at joan1. Skin colour is strange, and also on some other
> pictures the black tones are not as black as one could expect.

If you look at Joan1 her skin appears a little ruddy but looking at her
jeans you can see a violet highlight on them showing that she was in the
violet spotlight at the time.
The background of the stage is a brick wall. In some of the shots the
back wall has lines in it and appears to be light brown,that is the
color of the wall it's not black.
The hardest part of the PS tweeking is trying to get the colors right
from shot to shot
with the ever changing colored spotlights in the scene.

> I had the same problems, but managed to get fair skin tones and deep blacks
> by carefully adjusting colours (red, green, blue separately for highlights,
> midtones and shadows). I also worked a bit with curves in order to get more
> saturation. Steeper curves, I found, let the pictures appear more intense.
> Did you do the same? I see most of your pictures have this saturated black,
> especially the wide angle shots.

I basicly do a levels adjust using the Image - Histogram. Then I use
unsharp mask before reducing the Tiff down to 640 x 400 then convert to
Jpeg. I've got a lot to learn about PS 6.0 and not a whole lot of spare
time to work with it.

> I am missing some close-ups. Full frame shots of musicians are highly
> appreciated. Was it because you could not get closer? The 80-200 range of
> your Tamron would have allowed for that. And your arrangement with the
> promotor would have given you access to the stage or the front of it.

The stage layout at this venue is kind of strange, right up at the front
of the stage was actually to close,giving a unflattering view of the
face with a lot of lower chin showing. From stage left and right the
background from each angle was a bunch of bright white and yellow neon
lights that just looked like crap. I chose to sit on the last row of the
pit seats which put me at the same eye level as the musicians.

> Best regards and best of luck with the BB King concert.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

later,
mike m.