RE: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?

Subject: RE: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:10:26 -0600
 And just in case anyone was wondering what I finally ended up with.. I
searched around the local shops to see what was there, found an OM-2S, but
that turned out to have a messed up flash shoe, annoyingly enough. So I took
a look on KEH/B&H to see what was there (Tom's list of cameras was, of
course, tempting, but I was looking for something less collectable and more
user-quality than the EX+ that he had).

 Turns out that a KEH BGN-grade OM-2S(program) had just appeared; US$149.00.
So I jumped on that; they shipped it out yesterday, it got here today.
Shipping sounded a bit expensive at first, but checking with the UPS site it
seems as if they charged me _less_ than UPS rates? Can't complain about
that..

 As for why it's "BGN" -- the bottom of the lens mount is scuffed, there's
scuffing on the film holder thing on the back, some scratches on the
viewfinder surround/base, but no strap brassing.

 The other thing is that it looks as if the focus screen has a small crack
in the top left -- that's a bit of a pain, but nothing that I can't live
with -- and I can always replace the screen later if I want a brighter
one/it gets too annoying. Is there a good way to get this out to check?
Looking in the manual from the om-sif site, it seems that I need a special
tool. I can release the little frame that holds the focus screen there, but
I can't get the screen itself out easily and I'm wary of trying too hard in
case I break something.

 Mechanically it seems fine -- everything that should move, moves, nothing
feels sticky, it exposes correctly (1/125th for ISO 100 at f1/16 on a sunny
day).

 It does sound somehow "rattlier" than my old OM-10, though. With the OM-10
set to 1 second, I press the shutter, there's a clunk; a second passes,
there's another clunk. With the OM-2S, I press the shutter, there's a much
"looser" sounding noise, a second passes, another noise, but I can still
hear something sort of rattling afterwards. Watching the shutter/magnet move
with the lens off, it all looks fine, though -- I'll have to take some shots
and see how it actually exposes stuff, I guess.

 (a closer check reveals that the post-mirror-up noise is from a little
protruding thingy on the right-hand side of the insides of the camera -- it
lifts up when the mirror goes up, then vibrates for a short while. The
post-shutter-closing noise also comes from that general area. All that said,
it seems to be a lot less noticeable when actually in use, rather than just
shooting off blanks and listening for rattles..)

 Thanks for all the advice!

 -- dan