Re: [OM] T-20 flash prices

Subject: Re: [OM] T-20 flash prices
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 04:50:43 -0700
<Semi Off-topic rant follows...>

I personally hope that anyone associated with OM gear is making a TON of
money at it!  I hope Clint is driving a BMW M5, John H. has a BIG
Mercedes, and Tom (Oh, we know about Tom!)

The reality of the situation is that no one is getting rich at this.  We
whine about the cost of this gizmo or that gizmo, but the reality of the
situation is that (for the quality of the gear) OM equipment is cheap!
Most of my lenses cost me less than $100.  Before I bought my OM-2S I
seriously considered buying a Contax Aria with a 28-70 zoom lens for
$999.  You can buy a SERIOUS OM outfit for $1,000.

I bought my T20 brand-new from B&H for $99.  Should I have bought two
(three, four?) used ones instead?  Probably.  I wanted to have the
thrill of opening a new new piece of OM gear, since almost everything
else I bought was used.  Also, I didn't have to take it apart, clean out
the corrosion from leaky batteries, re-solder wires, etc.

I think people need to concentrate on the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO),
and not just getting the absolute cheapest initial deal.  Buy the
cleanest examples you can find. Budget a periodic CLA for your bodies.

I need to spend more on film and processing, and less on "stuff".  Spend
more time on technique, and less on bargain hunting.

<end of rant; there, I feel better!>

Bill Stanke