[OM] [OT] Getting pysched...

Subject: [OM] [OT] Getting pysched...
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:02:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

> From: "c.e.packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Okay, I've thought of a topic of discussion
> related to photography in general.
> I've been immersed in a programming project for
> nearly a year now and it
> is becoming increasingly difficult to separate
> work from the rest of my life.
<snip>
> What do you do to mentally and
> emotionally prepare for making photographs?

I come from a similar background, though I've
left programming.  I did technical customer
contacts (consulting, seminars, training etc.)
for the last 3 years and I'm in marketing now.

First of all, I started out by realizing that
it's not possible to separate work and private
life.  I know most people think it's important to
do so, but I found it hard to do it in my job.
After a while, when you're not just into one
particular project anymore, the technology
interests you.  And if I happen to see something
fascinating while I'm on holiday, well, that's
part of my life so I can't just say no.  It also
means sometimes that I need to attend conference
calls in the evening.  On the other hand, I
expect that nobody will give me problems when I
arrive late or go home early.  I feel this has
relaxed my attitude towards work and private life
to the point where I now start feeling
comfortable crossing the boundary both ways.

For photography, for the Sfinks music festival
last weekend, I only took my camera the second
day.  The first day I didn't want to take it,
because of the afterparty in the evening.  It
turned out that that first day got me in the
right mood for the festival as well as giving me
a good opportunity to watch things before going
around with the camera.  Both important points
before you start wasting film !

Peter.

=====
--