[OM] OM2-S with automatic flash?

Subject: [OM] OM2-S with automatic flash?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:32:07 -0600
 While continuing my quest for something to replace my old OM-10, I came
across an OM2-S (CDN$300 = US$195 or so) in one of the local shops.
Mechanically, it seems fine, everything moves smoothly and clicks nicely,
meter is okay, shutter speed seems good -- but the flash head is rather
peculiar.

 Behavior is as follows:

 with flash 1 (Miranda OM 650): mount the flash, flash charges up, and as
soon as the flash has charged it fires. It then re-charges, and fires again;
no user input required at all.

 with flash 2 (Vivitar something-or-other): mount the flash, flash charges
up, but never lights 'ready'. If you unmount the flash, the ready light
comes on immediately; re-mount the flash, it fires instantly.

 Things it's not:

 The flashes -- both the flashes work fine on other cameras.
 The battery -- "battery check" sounds happy, metering is okay, and putting
a new battery in also doesn't help.

 My question is: does this sound familiar to anyone out there? Is this
likely to be something that's cheaply fixable or should I just write this
camera off and keep looking?

 -- dan