Re: [OM] Proper way to mount and dismount lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Proper way to mount and dismount lenses?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:48:08 -0700
I'd never turn the lens by either the aperture or focus rings except by mistake. Grasp the lens from the bottom up (this will--or rather should, depending on how pudgy your fingers are--give your index finger and thumb reasonable purchase on the release buttons, which you then squeeze and then firmly (do not force) turn the lens counterclockwise 75^ or whatever it is. But before you approach your lens with this operation in mind, know what you intend to do with the now-open and environmentally-exposed camera body. Best to keep the camera closed up as much as possible. Else particulate matter and moisture will migrate into it. And that is never good.

To give you an example, I just dismounted my 100mm from the body I intend to carry in hand with me on my flight over to Europe, exchanging it for the 35-70mm I'll use as for walking around Barcelona--I've a lengthy stopover and plan to go into town. Also, I'd much rather have the 35-70 exposed to bumps than my 100--the rest of my backpacks jammed to overflowing, with a tripod strapped to the back, so I've no choice if I want to take a second body.

Anyway, so I swapped my 100 for the 35-70 on the other body, but then I became distracted and forgot what I was doing, and before I knew it ten or fifteen minutes had passed before I got back to the still-exposed body, not to mention the 35-70 lying there with its rear lens exposed all the while. To borrow from my own lecture . . . this is never good.

All the mistakes in photography are waiting to be made. Try to do better than me.

Tris

Here comes another curiosity question - what is the proper way to grip a lens when mounting or dismounting from an OM body? One needs to apply a little torque to seat or unseat the lens - should you hold on to the focus ring, turning it to one stop or the other? Or try to grasp the mount body (the part the DOF preview and unlatch buttons mount to)? On my other bayonet mount slr there is adequate grip area on the non-rotating or body portion of the lens for this not to be a problem, but the very compact Zuiko lenses don't provide much solid grip surface..... I don't like pushing against the focusing helicoid stops, but that's what seems to 'fall easily to hand'. Advice will be much appreciated, as always.

Curt