Re: [OM] Re: I'd love to know how low some of these serial numbers go

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: I'd love to know how low some of these serial numbers go
From: "Mark Hammons" <astaire@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:25:41 -0500
Group

This is from fellow list member Steve Goss.  He came over to my house one
day with this lens and the 50mm 1.4 Zuiko.  We used my Geiger counter
to test these 2 lenses and found the FTL lens to be radioactive but the
50mm Zuiko to not be.  The other lens he talks about is my Leica
Screw-mount 50mm Summicron from about 1953 that uses Thorium
Oxide in the glass.   As he states, the dominant decay type for Thorium
is Beta radiation ( A neutron in the nucleus of the atom kicks off an
electron and becomes a proton).

I can attest to the fact that Steve's information is legit.  :-)

Mark Hammons
Plano,TX