RE: [OM] OTF metering vs Spot/Mem/ESP / OM-2S Program Flash. For Curtis

Subject: RE: [OM] OTF metering vs Spot/Mem/ESP / OM-2S Program Flash. For Curtis.
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:33:05 -0600
>I have been using my OM-4t for about 60 days.  The spot metering is really
>great if you have a significant difference in lighting from the dark part
of
>the scene to the brightest.  It will reach into a scene and pluck out a
>reading of the bright side of the scale and then average it with subsequent

>spot readings.  Another thing it will do is wieght the readings to your
>wishes.  For instance if you meter a spot in a scene by pressing the
"spot"
>button twice and meter a third spot meter reading of a different area the
>camera will give 2/3 weight to the first two.  With a little thought you
can
>really control the lighting that the film finally sees.  The OM-4t has
>creative capabilities that are gonna be fun to expore.

 Presumably it's also possible to do this with a 2S(P), though I guess you'd
have to do the averaging in your head.. It would be a matter of choosing the
aperture/speed you want, taking a spot reading from location X, adjusting
the speed/aperture until the needle's in the right place, remember it; take
another spot reading, adjust again, remember; etc, and then average them
manually and use the result.

 Hm. A bit fiddly, but as long as the subject is relatively static it should
be okay. Or am I missing something important here?

 -- dan