Re: [OM] Photographing People

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing People
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 01:38:16 -0700
on 7/27/01 2:11 PM, John Prosper at japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If one employs an extreme wide angle lens (i.e., 21mm or shorter), one does
> not even have to appear to be pointing the lens directly at the subject to
> include them.  From 24mm on up, the subject can tell you are including them
> if they are observing the photographer.
>
> Therefore, with lenses 24mm and up, one must employ other methods for
> stealth photography. (Yes, yes, I KNOW one can simply engage the subject
> personally about taking their photo, but this is not always a constructive
> approach for the best image.)  I sometimes walk around with camera in hand
> and at my side until the "decisive moment" approaches (obviously, the Henri
> Cartier-Bresson approach) then quickly raise the camera and snap the shutter
> in one smooth flow of action.  Clearly, this requires practice for optimal
> results.  I have also used wide angle lenses to snap photos with the camera
> in hand at my side.
>
> John

Wide angle is nice because of depth of field in reasonable light you can set
a hyperfocal distance and just about point and shoot. An extreme wide angle
can be used in close quarters e.g. subway train, bus, etc. I've seen shots
taken with an extreme wide angle rigged with a remote release, the camera
hanging on a short strap around the neck, not a waist-level viewpoint, but
not aimed by eye either. With a 21 or 18 you probably can just stand in the
right direction and pull that off. Better with a quiet shutter, the pictures
I recall were taken on a subway train (lots of background noise anyway...)
and with a rangefinder (Leica?). I'm not sure how to rig a remote release
without having a motor, which would definitely be too noisy.
--

Jim Brokaw