Re: [OM] Photographing People

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing People
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:11:29 -0500
If one employs an extreme wide angle lens (i.e., 21mm or shorter), one does not even have to appear to be pointing the lens directly at the subject to include them. From 24mm on up, the subject can tell you are including them if they are observing the photographer.

Therefore, with lenses 24mm and up, one must employ other methods for stealth photography. (Yes, yes, I KNOW one can simply engage the subject personally about taking their photo, but this is not always a constructive approach for the best image.) I sometimes walk around with camera in hand and at my side until the "decisive moment" approaches (obviously, the Henri Cartier-Bresson approach) then quickly raise the camera and snap the shutter in one smooth flow of action. Clearly, this requires practice for optimal results. I have also used wide angle lenses to snap photos with the camera in hand at my side.

John