Re: [OM] OT : I take exception (Was Off Topic Posts are drowning out con

Subject: Re: [OM] OT : I take exception (Was Off Topic Posts are drowning out content)
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:27:11 -0400
I'm sure every list has its etiquette.  One of the charming idiosyncrasies
of this list is that we feel free to digress.  Sometimes these OT threads
are of no interest to me.  Sometimes they are.  Sometimes, I even initiate
them.  It's amazing to watch a photographic topic morph into something not
even remotely related.  One of the positive and indispensable byproducts of
such digressions is that we get to know each other better as individual
people.  It's an element of this list I would not forego to remain rigidly
on topic, because I've made some real friends--even though I've never met
them--among the Zuikoholics.  In other words, the list is a group of
like-minded photagraphers who also get to be pen pals.  Still, I've managed
to learn more about things Olympian and photographic than I ever could have
on my own before the net existed; I've learned them in a short period of
time, as well.  When an OT thread has no interest for me, I can quickly
delete posts with subject headings I've learned to recognize.  That's a good
way to keep from getting overheated because the subject seems trivial.  I
have not been enthralled by the recent fish stories, for example, but I
don't begrudge the pleasure that some of us seemed to get from it.  It's
sort of like TV: if you don't like what you're watching, change the
channel--or turn it off.
Just MHO.
John Pendley

> In a message dated 7/28/01 9:42:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > This is
> >  supposed to be a list about OM photographic equipment and its use,
> >  not a list about fish, cars, Fedex and UPS, etc.
>
> I take exception to the last part of that rant, Mike.  As I am still
buying
> and shipping OM equipment to and from various parts of the U.S. and
Canada,
> to John H. (Camtech) and others, I'm VERY interested in the pros and cons
of
> all the major postal, customs, and parcel services.  Shipping & receiving
> equipment is a major part of the OM lifestyle for many of us.
>
> It's very clear from following this list for more than a month or so that
> John Hermanson has a stellar reputation as an Olympus technician and
> businessman.  However, getting your OM gear TO and FROM him may be another
> matter entirely.  So far, what I've experienced with UPS and the U.S.
Postal
> Service and read on the list confirms my belief that the U.S. Postal
Service,
> and Canada Post, is still the best possible method of shipping parcels
around
> the U.S. and Canada.  Provided you insure.
>
> Although discussing shippers may seem off-topic, these discussions are of
> interest to many of us, not just the "Tom Scales" OMers who ship/receive
on a
> grand scale (no pun intended).
>
> I have only one OM-1n, and only one OM-2n, each recently purchased,
> beautiful, and in need of CLA, battery conversion, foam, etc..  I can't
tell
> you how upset I'd be if either were lost or damaged enroute to and from a
> servicing.  They're going U.S. Postal Service, insured, thanks to my own
> experience AND the ongoing discussions of shippers that have taken place
on
> the list of late.
>
> Yes, the other off-topic posts get a little much at times (and I am guilty
of
> contributing my share -- I try to keep it down), but as others have
> mentioned, they add color and help me get to know the other list members.
It