Re: [OM] Re: ADITL

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ADITL
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 18:43:58 +1000
Zut alors!
Not all of ze French are rude - eet is the rest of us 'oo are too
sensitive, non? Some of zem are not arrogant either, hein? Et puis, zey
'ave sumzing too be arrogant about, n'est ce pas?
Quelle bordelle!

On the topic of getting close -
This week I had the opportunity to see a presentation by some students at a
Photographic college. As part of their course, they are attached to a
client to carry out an assignment - a 'real world' brief. Two were
delegated to work with a local government authority, photographing people
in a shelter for alcohol abusers - many with brain damage of varying
degrees. They took very different approaches.
The first was used a typical photojournalist 'smash and grab' approach -
longish, AF lenses, in and out fast, look for the dramatic/newsworthy. The
second didn't even take the camera on the first visit, got to know the
'clients', worked with them and used just one (50mm) lens.
The interesting thing was that they both produced fascinating images (and
were surprised that they were impressed by each other's work). The hit and
run shooter had pix that repelled. The subjects looked desperate, folorn,
unkempt and wretched. The point was made. The involved shooter produced
images that gave the 'inmates' dignity and warmth. The client liked both
sets but used the second.
Both photographers told 'their' truth.
Do what feels right for you but be fair to your subjects too - for me the
best photographs always allow the subject what little measure of dignity
and beauty they can claim.
AndrewF