Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:26:02 +0200

Hi Tris
Actually I did not specify how I would use the tripod, but you hit the right
spot. Most of my photography involves activities of one sort or another, where I
am a participant (canoeing, hiking, crosscountry skiing/touring,
orienteering(running), etc.). All my camera bags are LowePro waist packs, for
example.
I was a bit shocked by Gitzo prices, but I can see your reasoning regarding the
thousands of dollars we use on cameras, lenses, etc. I have to admit that I use
rather less money ($225/$175 for my two OM-4Ti's, for example), and $500+ for a
tripod is outside my present means; but now I know what to look for! C.H.Ling's
comment re 'Many advance amateur and pro here use Gitzo, the one don't buy it
just due to the cost, all "want" one. Are Gitzo superior, to me yes!' definitely
applies to me.
Regarding Benbo's and similar (Roger Skully), I am also convinced that they are
the most flexible (maybe the wrong word!) tripods, just a little unwieldy. OK
for day trips, but not long tours with a backpack. I have heard that Benbo are
in receivership, by the way.
Thanks for all the contributions; I guess that I will have to think about what I
can afford right now (or keep the Welt until I find a 'Doris' Gitzo or
similar....

mvh / regards
Roger Key

This entire thread (as far as I'm concerned--any digression is someone
else's) revolves around tripods and heads for the field. We do not address
studio work. I know zilch about studio work and to tell you straight I
don't want to know. I work outside, mostly, and this whole deal began with
a man asking what's available that is very good quality and light--as in it
doesn't weigh very much. If you know anything at all about tripods then at
the top of that "it doesn't weigh very much list" list resides the carbon
fiber offerings from Gitzo.

End of story.

As a matter of fact, all Gitzo tripods are top notch, large and small, and
their heads aren't too shabby, either. But this thread is devoted to
tripods for trekkers, hikers, climbers, men on the move. Your basic shank's
mare crowd. Okay?

Sheesh! <g>

Tris