[OM] Bag recommendations

Subject: [OM] Bag recommendations
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:43:26 -0300
Okay, now that I've got all this new sweet Olympus gear I figure I need to
start carrying it in style.

Well actually, it's more that my current camera bags aren't up to the task.
I currently own a Lowepro Photorunner that I think is a great small bag and
an Lowepro Orion AW that I'm not that fond of (don't like the large size,
doesn't seem to hang well and I don't find it makes a good backpack with the
pack attached).

I intend to keep the photorunner for sure because it's great for a smaller
kit. But I'd like something bigger for carrying more gear. One thing I've
found is that camera bag manufacturers generally give out specs for much
larger gear in terms of what they can hold. A good example is that the
photorunner is supposed to only hold a single body with lens attached and
then 1 to 2 other lenses, plus film. Currently, I have 2 bodies and 5 lenses
in mine (thanks to some extra dividers pinched from the Orion), but it's a
bit tight.

I'd like the ability to carry my full kit of lenses and 2-3 bodies, filters,
and film. Here's what my kit contains now (and not planning on too much
extra in the near future):

3 Chrome OM-1ns
21/3.5
24/2.8
28/2.8
35/2.0
50/1.8
85/2.0
135/3.5

I've been taking a look at Kinesis's belt system and it looks pretty
interesting although expensive (but the modularity might be nice in order to
allow me to take various different kits) but I haven't seen it in person.
I've generally found Lowepro's stuff to be very good. I recently also saw a
Domke f2 in my local camera store and liked the look of it but I think it
would be too big, and I didn't really take a close look at it. Generally,
Lowepro, Tamrac, and the odd Domke bag seem to be all I can get locally, but
I'm not adverse to mail ordering (although I'd prefer having some sense of
what the bag is like first).

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey