Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:19:34 -0700
Hi Michael:

the 135 mm f/3.5 is is nice lens.  It is very small and light.  It is
also typically a pretty cheap lens ( I just bought one for $49 USD).
Brooklyn Camera has one for $59, with case at:

http://www.brooklyncam.com/inventory/olympus.shtml

They also have a 135 f/2.8 in inventory.  I also have a third-party lens
(Sakar) that I bought at *-bay for $15.  It is a surprisingly good
performer, and is multi-coated.  I believe that all of the f/3.5 Zuikos
are single-coated.

The only drawback that I know of to the battery adapter (assume you mean
the C.R.I.S. unit) is the cost.  John H. charges $111 for a CLA, which
includes conversion to a silver oxide battery, and new foam seals.  My
theory of the world is that the cost of the adapter is 300f the cost
of the overhaul, which is probably needed for an OM-1(n) anyway.  As an
interim measure you can buy a Wein zinc-air cell for about $5 at a Ritz
Camera store or similar.  I'm told that these run about 1.4 volts, and
will throw off your meter by about 1/3 stop.  These last about six
months or so, in my experience.

Bill Stanke