[OM] 18/3.5 falloff [was] 16/3.5 fisheye

Subject: [OM] 18/3.5 falloff [was] 16/3.5 fisheye
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:41:43 +0000
At 01:43 7/22/01, you wrote:
om52 and 0m60 do shown very little falloff, I think you must have it stop
down to F11.

C.H.Ling

Exactly   :-)
If you stop the lens down to f/11 the falloff almost disappears unless you have a very even monochromatic light color in the corners. Even though it states unrecorded exposure data, f/11 is my aperture of choice for landscapes with any depth. It's a tradeoff to maximize DOF while avoiding diffraction limiting to maximize sharpness. I suspect the falloff is also minimal at f/8, but would have to check my archives.

In the third shot (diamond ring sunset), the falloff and subject enhanced each other with my vision for the image. It was deliberately shot at a much wider aperture; probably wide open at f/3.5 working hand held with rapidly diminishing light. There were no DOF concerns with the extremely short lens and knowing everything but the sky would be completely sihlouetted.

-- John