Re: [OM] Shaving

Subject: Re: [OM] Shaving
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:16:55 +1000
At 06:53 PM Friday 20/07/2001, you wrote:

Hi,

With all these discussions about the Tamron
Adaptall screws shaving off the reset button of
our precious bodies, I'm wondering what this
button actually does.

AFAIK the button simply acts as a sensor for the camera that a lens is present. When a lens is removed while a spot meter value is taken it beeps to say the value has been cancelled. Any spot measurement is gone. This makes sense as when you remove the lens the aperture value you had set is no longer present and so any indicated metering is likely to be wrong.

On my OM-3 the meter LCD doesn't come on at all unless a lens is mounted. On the OM-4Ti the meter LCD comes on but spot metering is not possible.

So a shorn button will simulate the situation in which there is no lens present and affect functions accordingly.

Oben