RE: [OM] i guess most have seen this...

Subject: RE: [OM] i guess most have seen this...
From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:55:22 -0500
<snip>

Appears to me that someone dropped the lens and it landed right where
you'd
expect. I called Olympus USA, and the front element is "no longer
available".

Some time ago when I had to have an aberration repaired in my previous
24 shift it had to make 2 trips to Japan as that was the only place that
would service them.  It took quite a while (about 2 months) but the
results came back perfect.  The repair cost was only about $330 (I think
the min. price that they charge to look at something) since they didn't
get it right the first time.  I also could never get a straight answer
from them as to what caused the aberration - maybe a misalignment of the
lenses?  Another camera repair tech. suggested that sometimes the
elements that are glued together sometimes come undone, and they might
just need to be put back in place.  I'm sure they've got to have
something on the shelf since K. Matsumoto says that they can still be
made on special order.

Good luck getting it fixed, and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

gries