Re: [OM] Maitani interview/Olympus telescopes

Subject: Re: [OM] Maitani interview/Olympus telescopes
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:26:28 +0200
: The fault is mine, I'm afraid. I looked at the original again. Maitani
: didn't specifically say that Olympus made telescopes - I inferred it. A more
: faithful translation would be:
: "I suggested that we aim to make a camera that could be attached to
: Olympus's microscopes and endoscopes and telescopes."
: This is still ambiguous though, and to me at least implies that Olympus did
: make a telescope, hence the mistake. In the light of Hans's research, the
: best translation might be:
: "I suggested that we aim to make a camera that could be attached to
: Olympus's microscopes and endoscopes, and to telescopes."
: Or, if they didn't make endoscopes either:

Thanks for clarifying this. Yes, Olympus did make endoscopes (and still do). In
those early days Olympus also made a Retinograph (eye inspection machine), and
designed an OM adapter for it (GRC). It is shown in very early (O)M-1 brochures
and
manuals but disappeared later; the Retinograph was probably discontinued and the
GRC adapter was probably never marketed. And on every System Group photo a white
telescope can be found to demonstrate the OM-Mount Astroscope Adapter, but
nowhere
it is suggested that this telescope was made by Olympus...

hnz