Re: [OM] Lens + body Cleaning + F. Screen change

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens + body Cleaning + F. Screen change
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:26:22 -0700
 >At 04:08 PM 7/14/01 +1000, Andrew Fildes wrote:

[snip]

Alcohol for cleaning? - good on bodies but for glass - WINDEX repeat WINDEX
on a Johnson and Johnson pure cotton bud. It works much better (and I used
to use lab grade ethanol).

Andrew:

I use Windex as well, but someone pointed out a while ago that Windex
contains ammonia, which is frequently used to break down metal-interlocked
floor finishes (ammonia attacks metals quite nicely).  This made me
hesitant to recommend it to anybody else, since it might do a really fine
job of attacking multicoatings.  I haven't seen any problems yet...

Garth

This was the advice that I was given by a respected local mechanic who uses
Windex on lens glass and mirrors. The Johnson and Johnson cotton buds
because they have nothing used to 'fix' the cotton on to the stick, unlike
some others. The routine I use (blow off any loose dust, cotton bud with
Windex, remove any sticky spots with a tootpick after damping well, repeat
Windex with clean bud if necessary, finish gently with a microfibre cloth)
has been confirmed elsewhere for SERIOUS cleaning, but this is not
something to do regularly. A lens pen is good for occasional fingermarks
but I wouldn't want to use one after exposure to outback dust, for instance.
AndrewF

Just a point or two. Windex is probably fine for glass. When you clean a lens, you are not cleaning glass. You are cleaning a very expensive coating. The last time I got glasses, I opted for the non reflective coating and was told in no uncertain terms not to use anything with ammonia in it because it will strip off the coating. The special lens cleaner they gave me has the smell of denatured alcohol.

I have no idea whether the coatings on eyeglasses are anything like those on a camera lens, but I hope you still have a coating on your front element.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California