Re: [OM] Lens + body Cleaning + F. Screen change

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens + body Cleaning + F. Screen change
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:08:21 +1000
>In a message dated 7/13/01 9:41:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> be careful with the compressed air.  You can shoot dust into
>>  the elements of a lens if you try hard enough.  I suspect the same goes for
>>  a camera body too.
>
>That possibility occurred to me, too.  I wonder if that isn't how some of
>that dust has gotten into the used lenses we buy.  I'm really careful to blow
>ACROSS the surface of the lens, from about six inches to a foot away, not AT
>the lens, to try to minimize the possibility of forcing dust, grit inside.
>
>The real bugger seems to be those recessed rear elements.  Anybody have a
>killer technique for that?
>
>Rich

Very long 'cotton buds' used for medical swabs (I married a pathology nurse!).
Oh, and be careful of some 'compressed air' - one I bought here in Aus.
without due care and attention is a can full of hydrocarbon propellant -
probably propane or butane, called Aerosolve (locally made). Consequently,
it is highy flammable and enthalpy causes it to chill down anything it
hits, as well as leaving a film. Major health hazard and could damage
lenses or film seriously. Despite this, it's marketed for cleaning
photoequipment and film for scanning!
Alcohol for cleaning? - good on bodies but for glass - WINDEX repeat WINDEX
on a Johnson and Johnson pure cotton bud. It works much better (and I used
to use lab grade ethanol).
AndrewF