Re: [OM] Re: focusing problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: focusing problems
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:59:47 -0500
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Went out shooting recently with my OM1 and my new-to-me made-in-Japan 50
1.8 and virtually everything I shot at less than 5.6  was out of focus.
This middle-aged stuff is for the birds

I had my middle-aged eyes checked recently and was fortunate to get a pretty good report. I'm farsighted in my left eye and nearsighted in my right (which is my shooting eye), but the doc said I'm lucky because I have one eye to favor for close and the other for far, which is the way my wife now has her contacts set up.

The right eye needs a little diopter correction, which is the single most important accessory that Olympus makes IMO. I know most people favor the x-4 type screen, and I also like to focus closely using the matte part of the screen, but I do find that the x-13 split element helps with the initial finding of proper focus with 50mm and wider lenses. I usually can find the focus quickly with the split element and then rock the focus ring back and forth a bit to hunt down the final focus on the matte part of the screen.

Joel W.