Re: [OM] 100mm f2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100mm f2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:19:44 +0000
At 08:07 7/12/01, Oben Candemir wrote:

I'm sure the 35 and 85 f2's are great lenses but my statement wasn't to cast any sort of opinion on their merits but to just say that I don't think they will have a place in my kit. I'm of the doubling school and my ideal set is the:

24 --- 50 --- 100 --- 200

How a user of primes sets up the sequence from short to long depends greatly on what the lenses are used for and personal preferences. My sequence was chosen for the type of shooting I do and how I employ them for it. Bottom line, as one gains experience with the primes, is to think about the desired sequence from short to long that fits the vision and style.

Would like to eventually replace the 200/4 with the 180/2.8 on the long end, and may eventually pick up a 21/2 on the short end (there have been a couple occasions I would have liked to use that length instead of working the 18/3.5 and the 24/2 was too long). This is all way down the list below acquiring two or three more Mamiya Sekkor lenses for the medium format rig.

Now on to making photos... (by the way John your Tulip TOPE entry was one of my favorites and I was surprised by the equipment you used to realise the shot!).

Thank You! I had fun doing it even if it took 12 frames to get the image I wanted (envisioned). Thinking outside the common usage for focal lengths allows unusual perspectives of things. It's risky; sometimes the result is downright butt ugly.

BTW, try using your 18mm more (e.g. for a second shot after the 21mm) and critically looking at the results. Granted, it is a difficult lens to use because of its very radical perspective. I must deliberately check any prominent vertical or horizonatal lines very carefully. As with many of the radical long and short focal lengths, success comes with experience looking through it and using it.

-- John