[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2534

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2534
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:45:56 EDT

c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx replied:
> What kind of grey market goods are you talking about
> exactly?

While looking at camera gear sites and forums recently I have read
quite a bit about "Grey Market" goods. I presume this term refers
to new camera gear which is brought in directly from e.g. Japan
without going through the official importers, am I right?

Presumably import duties are paid on it, aren't they, or are they?!

I mean we're not talking about stashes of Olympus 16mm fisheyes
in smugglers' caves in Cornwall are we?

I'm just wondering if someone will clarify the term for me, and the
possible pitfalls (or advantages) with respect to 'official' outlets,
especially in terms of waiting times.

I mean how do the risks compare with the "More *-*** madness"
scenario of paying someone you dont know too  much money for
something 20 years old?

Any opinions [ on-list or off-list at dbellamy2k@xxxxxxx ] ?

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/