Re: [OM] 100mm f2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100mm f2
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:44:56 +1000
Saw the last episode of 'The Human Face' series (with John Cleese) last
night and he was discussing the idea of celebrity. They featured the
photographer in Hollywood who is 'the' guy to do your black and white
10x8's if you're an aspiring actor. Quite an eye-opener. He works from his
two car garage in an inner suburban street - no lights - he just sits the
actor in the doorway of the garage and shoots on a tripod from the
driveway! Large white reflector sheet below the face on a stand and a
relatively long lens - looked about 180mm - on a pro Nikon or Canon body (I
couldn't work out if it was digital). The background was just the junk and
filing system in the garage, well bokeh'd, although he's shooting fairly
tight head or head and shoulder shots. This guy is the best, apparently,
and he's doing nothing that you or I couldn't do at home, with very basic
gear, and a 100 to 300mm lens.
A few good home portraits sound like a good way to justify the 180/2.8 or
300/4.5 at least!
AndrewF