Re: [OM] Ralph Gibson-seeing

Subject: Re: [OM] Ralph Gibson-seeing
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:28:36 +1000
>Hi,
>
>> The best photographic advice I have ever
>> received (to date):  "Don't use
>> your camera to frame your shot."  Not relevant
>> for action photography, but
>> for everything else.  Standard method is to
>> have an empty slide holder and
>> hold it in front of your face. Move it and you
>> around a lot until you have
>> the shot you want and then get your camera to
>> reproduce this (focal length
>> = distance of slide holder from eye).
>
>Hm, while that method sounds really clumsy and
>awkward to me, I do notice that I do a lot more
>composition without lifting the camera these
>days.  I will typically try to find an
>interesting viewpoint first, and double-check
>with the camera when in doubt.
>Peter.

Actually this works rather well for photography students when you are
trying to teach them to 'see' photographs around them - helps them separate
out potential subjects from the context and clutter. Some seem to be born
with the ability but most aren't. some never 'get' it. I've used a large
window card, like small odd mattes from a store, to help them but the slide
mount trick is nice as a quick aid for the more experienced.
The other big problem is getting them to see the background as well as the
subject before pressing the trigger. Anyone got an aid for that? :)
AndrewF