[OM] Ralph Gibson-seeing

Subject: [OM] Ralph Gibson-seeing
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
The best photographic advice I have ever received (to date):  "Don't use
your camera to frame your shot."  Not relevant for action photography, but
for everything else.  Standard method is to have an empty slide holder and
hold it in front of your face. Move it and you around a lot until you have
the shot you want and then get your camera to reproduce this (focal length
= distance of slide holder from eye). This requires crawling on your
belly, standing on tip toes, and of course buying more lenses for the
shots you discover which are beyond your system's capacity. Although,
unless you have long arms, you'll never discover a need for the Zuiko
1000mm. :-)  Viewfinder cameras represent a compromise between this and
and an SLR.

> From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Ralph Gibson-seeing
> Another advantage is that you can switch lens fields in the
> viewfinder so that you can preview what a different lens on the
> camera would produce.  I have frequently wished I had some way to do
> that with my Olympus without changing lenses, looking, deciding that
> is not what I want, and changing back or trying a different lens. Of
> course I could buy one of the accessory multi-lens viewers made by
> Leica, but that is a lot of money.

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")