Re: [OM] Value of 35 Shift & 24mm shift

Subject: Re: [OM] Value of 35 Shift & 24mm shift
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 01:06:19 +0000
For the 35/2.8 shift, about $450 to $550 would be a reasonable ballpark figure for one in (KEH) EX to LN- condition. Yes, the 24/3.5 shift is not as common, but with some patience they show up periodically. Yes, the price is much steeper on them.

IMO the much higher price for the 24mm is not because they're not as easily found, it's more because of the lens design and what they sell for new. Remember that a shift lens is specialized in purpose and has manual stopdown; not something you'd want to use as a general purpose wide-angle lens. In most applications calling for a shift lens the 35mm length sees much more use. The 24mm length has such a radical perspective it's more a lens of last resort when a shift is needed and the 35mm perspective won't work (or do) for the task at hand (e.g. very tight urban quarters and with very tall structures).

Also keep in mind that the entire image circle of the 35mm shift has the same field of view about the same as a 24mm lens and the 24mm shift image circle field of view is about the same as an 18mm lens. For the purists among us, they are still technically 35mm and 24mm respectively because of the huge image circle that is much larger than the film gate. It's much the same reason a 645 80mm standard lens has about the same field of view as a 50mm lens for 35mm format.

-- John