[OM] Negative / slide cleaning fluids

Subject: [OM] Negative / slide cleaning fluids
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:48:46 -0700
My preferred photo store was out of stock of the Kodak film cleaning
fluid but had an ample supply of a competing product called "ECCO 1500"
anti-static film cleaner and conditioner. The fluid has a different
smell to that of the Kodak product but I could not at the time place the
smell. I bought a bottle. I used the ECCO 1500 to clean one or two old
and dirty slides using only a drop or two on piece of soft cotton.

Two things happened! I remembered the smell ......... the fluid is
mildly diluted trichlorethylene ....... and the fluid visibly melted or
abrased both sides of the slide. I looked at the bottle and there is no
mention of the chemical analysis of the contents nor is there the name
and address of the manufacturer or bottler.

Trichlorethylene is a mighty strong de-greasing agent for metal products
and in my experience the best oil based paint thinner and brush cleaner
ever discovered! It gets even more potent when heated. That was back in
the UK in the 1960s and 1970s. I have never seen it on sale in Canada
and it might have been "outlawed" for health and safety reasons.

I am wondering if anyone else on the list has experience of ECCO 1500.

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC