Re: [OM] HELP: Value of 24mm shift

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP: Value of 24mm shift
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 11:13:52 -0700
on 7/5/01 10:38 AM, johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> I have an opportunity to purchase what is likely a LN 24mm shift.
> I check Skip's eBay history, but can anyone give me a more recent suggestion
> as to the value of one of these?
> An expedient reply would be helpful, as I have until this evening (EST) to
> decide.
>
> TIA,
> --p.j.

More than a 35 shift... I've been watching eBay (and spending too much
money...) and I've never seen a 24 shift come up. I bet they are much rarer
than the 35's. I wouldn't know what I would do with one, but if the
opportunity came along for a "Fang" deal I would take it.

I suspect that anyone who bought one in the first place had some pretty
specific needs for it, and therefore knows how unusual they are... I would
use this for panoramas, you shift left, shoot, then shift right, you wind up
with about a 100 degree horizontal field of view in two images.

One of the very first times I saw the "Buy It Now" feature on eBay, someone
had posted a 35 shift with a start price of $5 and a BIN price of $60...
unfortunately I was too late :-(

--

Jim Brokaw