Re: [OM] mystery flare

Subject: Re: [OM] mystery flare
From: johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:58:15 -0500
If it is coming from different lenses and in the same place each time, then
it is likely a light leak.  How is the foam on your OM-2S?  Did you spend a
lot of time outside with the camera with this roll of film as opposed to the
others which are not as bad?
Here is how I found a light leak in my camera:
Load a roll of fast film in the camera.
Tape up each side of the camera, as well as viewfinder and winder cover.
Put a body cap on the body and shoot three photos (cap on)
Take the cap off and shoot one photo (to know where you started)
Now, get a bright flashlight or go out in the sun, peel off one piece of
tape and let the camera 'soak-in' the sun.
Take three shots in rapid succession (cap on) and take off another piece of
tape.
Keep good notes of what the number was on the counter each time you pulled
off a piece of tape, and you should be able to find out where your light
leak is.
I suppose you could also expose a single frame in between each piece of tape
to make finding the counting at the end either.
Anyway, once you have finished, have your local lab process the film, and
tell them NOT to cut it.  The leak should pop out at you.  If not, pull the
film across a light box until you see it.  If it still doesn't show
up...well then I don't know what to do.

HTH,
--p.j.