[OM] ball hd vs pan hd

Subject: [OM] ball hd vs pan hd
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 20:25:34 -0700
I originally had decided on a new ball head. Maybe a Bogen 3055, a Slik
Pro ball. or a Gitzo. But after thinking about it and looking at the
design I'm wondering  that with the ball design what's to keep the
camera and lens from flopping over when you release the tension? Seems
like a three handed design. Aim, focus, lock. With the pan and tilt
design you've got a grip on the handle to prevent this from happening.
Any thoughts on this? The ball design appeals because of the simplicity
and versatility but I don't want to chance my 300/4.5 banging on the
legs. The Gitzo 1275 with the horizontal ball looks better but still
would need three hands and I think it's over my price point of US$75
And with only a couple of bodies why would I want to use a QR plate?
Seems like removing the plates would be more hassle than just
dismounting/mounting the camera.

Mike