Re: [OM] OM2 Spot Program - shutter sound

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2 Spot Program - shutter sound
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 20:17:20 -0700
on 6/30/01 5:58 PM, John A. Lind at jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 YES!!!!!

 Had Kodachrome in the OM-2S for some scenics tomorrow and Reala in the
 OM-1n for some fireworks late this evening.  Went to a wedding this
 afternoon and wanted to do some B/W shots for them.  Since the other two
 bodies were already loaded I pulled out the Contax IIIa (CD) and loaded it
 up with B&W +400.  Oh, the shutter sound at the 1/50th X-sync.  No mirror
 slap or lens stopdown noise; just the melodious sound of its mechanical
 timing with the heavy metal shutter curtains.  Even at 1/50th you can hear
 the syncopation of the two curtains traveling (1/25th is even nicer, but it
 F-syncs at that speed).  Each shot was music to my ears.  The OM-2S has a
 pleasing sound and the OM-1n is sweet, but I agree there is NOTHING like
 the sound of the Zeiss Ikon Contax shutter!!!

I think the sound of the old Leicas is pretty sweet too. The OM-2s has that
little extra 'flop-scklops' as the two mirrors fold together, for an SLR its
about as sweet as I have heard... of course the OM-4 has that sound, too.
The old Leicas (I have a IIIg) are almost silent, just a 'click-tick' and
you're done. Even better when the clockworks wind a little, on the slow
speeds... 'click-bzzzzz-tick'.

My stolen 60's vintage M3 still had the extra gear train of the earlier Leicas and the shutter also had a wonderful, quiet precision sound. Somewhat later models of the M3 got a simplified mechanism and a less elegant sound.

Thoughts of replacement of the M3 were discouraged by the price and by then the very elegant and desirable IIIg was more expensive in good condition than the M3 because of its rarity.

When I got my first OM, after using the Leica for a year, it took some
getting used to. One OM thing that was immediately familiar was the smooth
working of the knobs, dials, etc. The feel of using the camera is a big part
of the pleasure of photography for me, so I don't like the modern
plastic-fantastic cameras quite as much. My 'pocket camera' is an XA...

Jim Brokaw
OM-ing my way to financial ruin...

I was also impressed with the feel of the OM, the OM1 even more than the OM4. -the feel of turning the shutter speed ring being the possible exception.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California