[OM] problem solved - Loading OM-2sp with film

Subject: [OM] problem solved - Loading OM-2sp with film
From: Frank Sweeting <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 12:21:52 +0100
Dear all

I've solved the problem I was faced with when I couldn't load the film.

In case this may help others this is what I did/happened
Sorry if this is long winded but sometimes writing your life story is fun

I'm off to watch the Tour de France in 3 weeks time so I wanted to run a
roll through the new toy (only had it 4 months!) The OM2 had about 34 shots
on the counter & I took time off from the decorating last Sunday to visit
the UK's Science Museum annexe near to home as it was having an open day AND
there was a Vintage Motor Cycle Sprint on the site (disused airfield) the
same day. OM2 fitted with 28 -48 & winder2 First Shot in hangar Lockheed
Constellation one or two others. Down to the sprint one or two shots, fore &
aft Douglas twins etc. Then a thought, this roll should be finished? Yep it
was forgot to put finger on rewind knob to check wind-on! Very nice sidecar
outfit to take, had'nt the space to get back far enough with the 40mm Rollei
35. Ok load the OM-2s. Insert batteries, Ok, fit 28 - 48, Ok press rewind
button, open back, put leader into take up spool, press shutter release,
wind on. No Go, very much no go Panic Did I really want to take photos? is
that why I'm carrying around 5.5kg of kit?

Go home Post message to the group.
Monday check camera again. Yes definitely shutter not completely fired or
rewound, I can see half the shutter blind pattern behind the mirror. Now I
can see the half silvered mirror behind the mirror as well. Download mail
hoping for advice or inspiration. Helpful message from ClintonR but strongly
suggesting this is not a diy fix if his suggestion is correct. ....
expletives deleted ... Paint 3 bedroom walls
Later search the list for other similar problems Find John H & ClintonR
suggestions re Om-2n mirror lock Go to bed thinking trip to local repairers
seems necessary, but could it be sorted in time to run a film or two through
before 3 weeks are up
Tuesday download mail no more suggestions or comments. Paint last wall
(different colour to yesterdays walls) evening search the Digest, found a
refernece to using a winder in similar situation with a different body
(can't remember who but he's a regular may be Joel W) Reason if its off to
repairers Black on White (Anyone in UK -I've found them good at sensible
prices in Bristol) I won't have done any further damage

Put winder on unloaded OM2 fire off a single shot about 20:20 hours. Hell
the mirrors locked up on that now. Toggled to B, mirror returns sigh of
releif. The 28 -48 is f4 right its actually quite gloomy, Ok we needed
exposure time > than the winder allows That's rationalized that problem
Put batteries back into OM-2s check it seems to be metering as expecte with
the standard lens Offer up Winder2, just doing up the lock ring when
whirring & noise happens, quickly whip off the winder. Bl..t Forgot to set
it to off was still on single. BUT shutter has been fired & its looking good
Now I can wind on Open lens wide check indicated shutter speed in all three
modes 1/60 seems sensible

Wind on seems a little stiffer than the OM-2, is it noisier as well? check
out low shutter speeds down to ca 1/2 sec indoors. Seems Ok

Think I'll put this saga onto the list in case it helps anyone else
Time for bed>
Tomorrow perhaps I'll load that darn film after all

Tomorrow, loaded film Ok - noted that film rewind button is now popped up
properly, when in the fault condition it wasn't

Thanks List for all the info & wisdom  you have put there

Two questions on List Members web sites

 John H's site seems to have lost his back foam instructions link gives
blank black page &

at http://www.zuikoholic.com/lenscoatings.txt is there any date of
manufacture versus lens serial No info.How is it this page isn't referenced
on the site. I found it from reading a posting from Henrik Dahl. If I delete
/lens coatings I hoped to find a list of other goodies on the site but that
just gives me a blank page

Best wishes to all
Frank Sweeting

frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx