Re: [OM] SC Retrogrouch

Subject: Re: [OM] SC Retrogrouch
From: "O. Candemir" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 10:38:01 +1000

meant SC lenses were what was available in 1987.  My 100/2.8 was
my first lens and it remains my favorite.  Does it flare a bit
more than the newer MC versions?  Sure, but it also has a couple
characteristics which, for me, make it superior.  It is a
slightly warmer lens than the newer lenses (any radioactive
elements are a result of too much airline travel, but that's
another story), and it has unbelievable bokeh characteristics at
F4 and F5.6.  I believe that the newer versions have slightly
different iris blades which do not operate like mine.  Mine is
so sharp that I hesitate to risk getting a different 100mm lens
that doesn't work as well.  I will shed tears when it is
lost/stolen/sold/broken/retired.

Ken,

I have to agree with you about the 100mm f2.8. I have the MC version as it stands but of my 20 lenses or so, it is in my opinion definitely the sharpest of the lot. It has unbelievable resolution and contrast. So much so that when I checked Gary Reese's test results on it:

f/2.8 C- B-
f/4 B B
f/5.6 B+ B+
f/8 A- B+
f/11 A- A-
f/16 B+ B
f/22 B+ B

I thought I probably wouldn't have got excited about that lens seeing those results. There's more to a lens than the test results I'm afraid and the 100mm f2.8 I suspect is one of the most underestimated lenses of the Zuikos. No I'm not selling mine so I'm not talking it up for that.

Oben