[OM] RE: lab question, from Bill, not Sue

Subject: [OM] RE: lab question, from Bill, not Sue
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:11:11 -0400
Hi Bill,
>From  your questions:

*1: Yah, it's too much excitement.   You guys don't really want to hear
about what happens when a splice breaks, do you?

*2: Uhhhh.  To have the local pro lab do my sister's wedding shots, cost me
about $70 for 24 prints.   It was incredibly high.    I think of the
one-hour machine prints as "proofs" and have the tricky exposures, like the
concert photos, printed with manually controlled exposure on a minilab as
reprints.   Besides, dip and dunks have their own problems.  They are used
because they are appropriate for low volume and not because they are
inherently better, IMHO.00

*3: Yeah, densitometry is neat and the emulsions, (both film and paper) are
much more tightly controlled than they used to be.

*4: No, I left.   Actually, they installed a cine that ran twice as fast
(two lines, 60 feet per minute).   I was working faster than a one-armed
paper hanger, trying to inspect the film and make the changes, communicate
with both ends, and move the bags (envelopes) along.  I accidently walked
out through a rotary darkroom door with a roll of 110s  under my arm.
Totally fogged about 20 orders.  Severely edge fogged the other 80 orders.
I can tell you I was physically sick for two days, thinking about ruining
vacation pictures for 100 families!  They fired me..........   Can I hang
out with  you guys anyway?

*5: Qualex has a big lab in Cincinnati.    It used to be owned by a grocery
chain called Kroger but they spun it off to their drug store chain called
Superx.  Then Superx got  bought up by Hooks.   Then Hooks/Superx sold the
lab to a new, exciting joint venture between some manufactuing company and
Kodak.   They called the new  company "Qualex".  Last I heard, Kodak bought
out their co-owner and Qualex is 1000wned by Kodak.  This is why you'll
never find a Qualex lab that uses Fuji paper.   Or 3M paper.  Or Konica
paper.  Or Fuji chemicals.  Or Hunt chemicals.

*6 Do you guys wanna know about twin-checks and sorting in a big lab?

Jim