[OM] RE: lab question, from Bill, not Sue

Subject: [OM] RE: lab question, from Bill, not Sue
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:40:52 -0400
Cc: "Olympus_List" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Bill,

Yes, Qualex uses a cine process.    I can't imagine running  10,000  C-41
rolls per night on a dip  and dunk!   When I was there, the  cine ran at 60
feet  per  minute.   At that speed, a 36  exposure  roll  is really  moving.

The thing that made me very nervous when I   first saw the machine was the
idea of  wet  emulsion being  squeegeed at 60  feet  per minute.   At first
glance, it  appears that the emulsion  is being rubbed.

After   observing though, I   noticed that the machine runs at   least   20
minutes  worth of  leader before the  control strip  comes  out.  We checked
for scratches and make  DAMN sure that the  thing is in  **perfect** control
(on a densitomiter, naturally) before we send customer film through.

Then the very  first   roll is behind another  15 minutes worth of   leader
before it  comes out of the  last squeegee.   That's a  lot of  time and a
film of surface tension from the water is really what removes the excess
fluid.
Jim