[OM] Shipping lenses WAS: Back cap sources?

Subject: [OM] Shipping lenses WAS: Back cap sources?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:15:50 -0700

Gary Reese wrote:

> There is something very non-professional about selling lenses without
> caps.  If a seller is skimping by not putting at least generic caps on a
> lens, then what else might they be leaving out of the deal?  I'm
> curious, though.  When KEH doesn't specifically mention caps, do buyers
> at least get generic ones?

Nope, no caps means NO caps. Does seem rather cheap, and a bit risky, but
does seem to be becoming the norm.

> BTW, tape those caps down when shipping.  I keep a supply of drafting
> tape for such purposes.  It is easily removed without leaving any
> adhesive behind.  A lens in which a cap slips off in transit and rubs on
> the lens coating is something you want to avoid.  One buyer BOLDLY told
> me no tape, after wanting a lengthy explanation of how I would package.
> Hopefully rubber bands held in place for that shipment.

The way I have always shipped lenses is to place the caps on, then wrap
TIGHTLY in plastic, which is then taped with clear packing tape. I have
never lost a cap or had a lens damaged when shipping this way, and buyers do
not have to worry about tape residue. I realize it is not an issue with
drafting tape, but some buyers still worry!

> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Jim Couch
Tacoma, WA USA