[OM] Little Red Stripes

Subject: [OM] Little Red Stripes
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:44:27 -0400
Dave,
If your neg has a big fold in it, it was creased in the processsor without
scratching.  It's very obvious but very, very rare.  It takes a really
messed up processor to put that much tension on film though.  To me (10
years in a Qualex lab), it doesn't sound like a processor flaw.  A
scratching pressure plate makes for clear film, hence black lines on prints,
if I remember correctly.

I suspect a pinhole in a shutter curtian and a tungsten light source.  (Cyan
streak of variable intensity on the neg.)  Hold the unloaded camera up to a
strong light with the back open.  Is light coming through?  If the prints
have a stripe 1/3 way from the bottom, inspect the curtian 1/3 of the way
from the TOP.  (Camera obscura, remember?)

Jim L'Hommedieu

Dave wrote:
> [...]
dip-and-dunk processor, which ensures that nothing touches the film during
processing but the chemicals.  Much to my chagrin, the faint red stripe was
on these negs as well!  Arrgh!  Evidently, the problem lies w/my -1n.

Does this sound like fogging due to a light leak in the body or a pressure
mark of some sort?  I'm leaning towards fogging as the stripe is fainter or
non-existent in some frames and very evident in others (indicating how much
time the frame spent outside of the film canister) but can't quite figure
out how it would only be a stripe 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.>>>>>