Re: [OM] user opinions of 85-250/5 and 65-200/4..

Subject: Re: [OM] user opinions of 85-250/5 and 65-200/4..
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:14:03 -0700
James O. writes:

<< Can someone who has used both, or even just the 85-250/5, comment on
how it balances on a tripod compared to the 65-200? >>

The 65-200mm isn't really the best choice for tripod work.  It excels at
hand holding.  But you can try a Bogen Telephoto Lens Support for it, or
do the old Olympus recommended trick of holding the body while releasing
the shutter.

The balance of the 85-250 is superb when using the tripod collar.  It'll
make you wish the collar was adaptable to more long lenses. There is a
sense of rigidity in this combo.  But the large number of elements and
older design are psychologically a stumbling block for me and keeps me
from using it.  I'm much happier with a 80-200mm f/2.8 for tripod work
and a 65-200mm f/4 for walkabout work.  Plus, a zoom over 200mm isn't
really useful to me since I prefer primes in that range.  But if one
needed reach out to 300mm, the Tokina 100-300mm f/4 AT-X is a nice way
to go and has a tripod collar.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV