[OM] re-introduction

Subject: [OM] re-introduction
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 02:16:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

This is a re-introduction of myself into the
wonderful Olympus mailing list that I left about
6 years ago when I lost my e-mail account.  I've
had it back for several years now, but I thought
I was too busy.  I might be more busy now, but a
bad fit of Zuikoholism came over me last weekend,
so here we are.

I even had a hard time remembering how long ago
it was that I was subscribed on the mailing list,
but I guess it must be 6 years, because I
remember Tomoko being the first on the list to
buy the highly anticipated OM-2000, and sending
us very extensive reports :-)

Back then, I had an OM-1 (MD) with, IIRC, a
50mm/f1.8, a 35-70 zoom (I don't remember which
f), the 75-150mm and a Tamron 300mm f5.6 that I
used for some astrophotography.  Times have
changed !  The light meter of the OM-1 broke, and
I replaced it with a plain vanilla OM-3 (YESsah
!).  I kicked out the 35-70 and donated the
Tamron to my sister, who's still happily shooting
sun eclipses etc. with it.  I added a 28mm/f2.8
to the range.

Last summer, I decided that the manual thing was
taking too much time, and I happened to find
myself in Singapore one day, without camera, so I
did what one should do in such a case (especially
in Singapore) : I started shopping.  After
fondling with loads of small plastic things,
including Olympus mju-II etc., I settled for a
Minolta TC-1, which is an incredible little
machine with a fixed 28mm/f3.5, diaphragm
preference only and a nice spot metering system.

Now, last weekend, I hired a Pentax 645 with a
200mm, a 75mm and a 45mm lens (I guess that
equals a 135, a 50 and a 35 in our world) to
shoot my sister's wedding.  I'm still waiting for
the results, but the "DIY" (instead of the
"let-the-camera-do-it-for-you") photography has
come back to haunt me again !  Now, I still think
that complete manual is a bit over the top, so
I'm looking for an OM-4Ti.  And the portrait is
definitely missing from my range.  I'm not so
fond of the 75-150 : it's too big to my liking
and just f4.  I've been dreaming about the
90mm/f2.0 for years and years.  When I saw the
results of that lens in the TOPE (esp. Matt
BenDaniel's unbelievably speaking portrait of
Kristi), the longing became too strong, and now I
know that life won't be worth living without it.
I guess I'll have to register as a Zuikoholic on
my way to the shop :-)

I found both items, and ordered them, at Wide
Angle in the Netherlands.  Does anybody have
experience with this shop ?  They're completely
dedicated to Olympus, and they give 3 months of
warranty.  After mailing back & forth for a
couple of times, I'm getting a good impression.

The OM-4Ti they have on offer is a champagne one.
 Does this automatically mean it's one of the
battery-sucking vampire monsters, or could I be
lucky ?  My OM-3 eats batteries enough already,
it'd be nice to have a camera that lasts for more
than 3 weeks on a fresh set.

It feels really nice to see that the list is
alive & well.  I've always regarded the Oly list
as an example on how all Internet mailing lists
should be : full of friendly, dedicated & helpful
people.  Enjoy !

Peter.

=====
--