Re: [OM] OM smog filter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM smog filter
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:32:41 +0000
A UV/Haze will reduce the UV component, but not the visible, which hazes film to some extent because film is sensitive to UV just above the visible spectrum. Glass does not block out UV, it only attenuates it. Images made using a zoom with many elements will suffer less from UV haze (but suffer more from other compromises). Images made using a prime with just a few elements (especially thin ones) suffer more.

A polarizer can remove the polarized component but only works in some directions compared to the light direction, not all, and only reduces the effect of light reflected from it. It won't rid you of the problem with the light it blocks which still reduces contrast.

In short, with SMOG you're stuck with much of what you see. There's no magic filter to rid the sky of it.

-- John