Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 19-35: a good buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 19-35: a good buy?
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:42:02 +0200
Bernd

As luck would have it, Amateur Photographer in the UK has just
carried out a test of  several wideangle zooms, including the Vivitar
Series 1 19-35 f/3.5-4.5.  It costs £130 (the AF version at least)
and AP had the following to say"

"The Vivitar struggled to come up with the goods and is not the
sharpest lens in the world.  that said, for small prints you could do
worse.  Vignetting was fairly severe at wide open apertures, by
modern standards, and was still visible atf/8.  Like the Cosina there
was distortion present at 19mm, but this iw the way with wideangle
lenses.  The Vivitar fared better on the colour and contrast front,
with excellent neutral colour and punchy contrast that still
maintained good shadow and highlight detail.  Not full marks for the
Vivitar, but £130 is a great price."

... sooo, good contrast, good colours ... but it says in a separate
part that it has poor definition and sharpness.

You get what you pay for I suppose.

I hope that this helps.

Chris

Hi,

Recently I saw a Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm with OM mount for sale at
a shop around here. It is new, and after visiting the Vivitar
website I found that it is still being produced.