[OM] [OT]Projecting Oly Slides

Subject: [OM] [OT]Projecting Oly Slides
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:09:10 -0700
Note the lame effort to stay on topic in the subject.

Playing with Gary Reese's projector evaluation slide I discovered that having a great lens is only half the battle(not that my lens is great). Even with great effort it is questionable as to whether you can achieve best focus on the screen, but in my own case it is so far from a real projection experience as to be laughable. My old Leitz Prodovit 250 has auto-focus which is an early design. It depends on the lens being sharply focused to begin with. The auto-focus then attempts to reproduce that original focus(not entirely consistently in my case).

The problem is that turning the lens goes from out-of-focus to sort-of-focus with no transition. There is no smooth movement from approximate focus to sharp focus. So even if the lens had a high potential it is not realized because of the mechanical design of the projector. In addition, if you are focusing the lens at the projector you are too far away from the screen to tell whether it is focused. Binoculars help somewhat.

It would make me question the wisdom of replacing the lens with a later, improved model.

Do those people with other projectors have similar problems, or are they solved by later, better designs?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California