Re: Collectible OM-3 condition-> was [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical

Subject: Re: Collectible OM-3 condition-> was [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:26:12 -0700

 Mark Dapoz wrote:

 > On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Paul Farrar wrote:
 >
 > > Whatever doesn't include a flash, because the 3 (I hear) needs a battery
 > > to operate the flash trigger. I know the 4T won't fire one on it's
 > > mechanical 1/60 without a battery.
 >
 > I just looked at the schematic for the 3Ti and they do indeed route the
 > X sync contact to a mechanical switch.  The remaining contacts for TTL
 > control go through the IC so they obviously won't work without batteries.
 > I wonder why they didn't do this for the 4Ti?
 >                                         -mark

 I suppose because the shutter don't work without a battery either.

The shutter does work without a battery at that speed (1/60). That's the sync
speed, too, but the flash triggering is all computer controlled, so if
your battery dies, you can shoot at the sync speed, but without flash.
I believe the Leica M6 TTL does this too.

Paul

I am confused by this. The OM4 shoots without batteries at 1/60 which you have to physically set at the red mechanical speed setting on the shutter speed dial. It does not fire at the green, 1/60 synch speed setting.

Doesn't the OM3 shutter operate at all speeds without batteries, or what is the point of having it?

My understanding of the Leica M6 TTL is that it has a mechanical shutter that fires at all speeds without a battery.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California