Re: [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical or electronic shutter? Does it need batter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical or electronic shutter? Does it need batteries f...
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:29:12 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 6/11/01 7:33:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx writes:
>
> >  I would like one [an OM-3, or maybe an OM-1!]. I know that many
> >  serious photographers seem to use the OM-1 and get stunning results.
>
> You've got a bad case, Dave.  I'm not one of the list experts, but I think
> I'm fairly correct in describing the OM1/OM1n shutter as a horizontal cloth
> -- mechanical.

See? You *are* now one of the list experts ;)

> Battery in these bodies is for the meter only.  For the
> money, you can't beat an OM1 or OM1n.  I just picked up an OM1n (already had
> an OM1 -- have loved it since the first moment I saw it and held it).  The
> OM1n has the "flash ready" indicator in the viewfinder, and some internal
> improvements over the OM1, I think I read somewhere.  A beautiful camera,
> which will perform reliably year in and year out for a long time, in all
> kinds of climatic conditions.

The OM1-series are great cameras, build to last. They take great pictures,
and in a tight moment, they can be used as a hammer. No, I've not done so,
but many an OM1 (including my first) have been tolerating excessive
abuse. Due to the *extrelemy* small size and low weight, the independance
of batteries and the robustness of an OM1+50/1.8-combo, it's been the
camera of choise for me in many rough situations (hiking, rock-climbing
etc.).

I am on my second OM1, and that I am taking much more care of. Not
available new any more, I trying the impossible of using the camera, while
still keeping it "mint". I guess I should look around for a
"worker" OM1....

> Expect to perhaps find some foam rot (mine has it starting, so will go out
> for a CLA and foam job soon).

I'd just toss in an advice for regular CLA's of all OM bodies. I have
never had significant problems - despit heavy (ab)use. I attribute that to
the fact, that I have a regular maintenance schedule, ensuring that each
body is CLA'ed regularly (every 3 years). As everything but the
{3|4}t(i) is out of production - and hence spare-parts may be getting
short - I am also convinced that a regular CLA will extend the expected
lifetime of the gear.

Born in Denmark, where I also go regularly (I live in France), I have
"Olympus Denmark" perform the CLAs.

<SNIP>

> OM1 or OM1n should be available for $125 or so at auction, and expect to pay
> more like $175 and maybe more at a camera store.  Far cheaper than an OM3.
> Put that saved money into lenses, filters, flash, bounce grip, etc.
>
> Let us know what you end up with!  Happy hunting!

I'm still trying to justify the purchase of a new OM3Ti. I've decided that
when one of my existing bodies break down beyond reasonable repair, I will
purchase a new OM3Ti. This puts me in a dillemma: on one hand, I want the
3Ti - but on the other hand, I would be really depressed when/if one of
my existing bodies break down....I don't know what to wish for here...;(

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)