[OM] E-Bay/ Doris Fang contest

Subject: [OM] E-Bay/ Doris Fang contest
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:20:15 -0700
Hello everyone:

The E-Bay auction closed this morning for $887.53.  The closest guess
that I received was Mr. Tom Scales (big surprise!) at $805.  Tom noted
that the final bid would be $805, and it was "too high" a bid.

I agree.  I would have valued this deal as follows (all prices are from
KEH):

OM-3 E                                   $751
T-20 E                                     47
75-150 f/4 E+                             126
35 mm f/2.8 E+                             99
50 mm f/1.8 E                              39
                                         _____
Total KEH price                         $1,062

I would discount this amount by 25% to make up for the hassle of dealing
with a private party on E-Bay, no right of return, etc., so  would have
come up with a "fair" bid of $796.50 for this outfit.

I think that the seller might have done better if he had auctioned the
OM-3 with the 50 mm f/1.8, and had separate auctions for the 35 mm, the
zoom and the flash.  I already own all three of the lenses, and the
T-20, so would be less likely to bid, if the only thing I really wanted
was the OM-3.

The winner of the "Doris Fang" contest was John Lind.

Tom needs to host the next contest.  I will leave it to John if he would
like to start another contest, or ??

Thanks!

Bill Stanke